Roberto “Indio” Davila
Sensei of Freedman’s Method Ketsugo Jiu-Jitsu* and Guro of Brewster Arnis
- Instructor and practitioner of Freedman’s Method Ketsugo Jiu-Jitsu* and Brewster Arnis for over 25 years directly under both Grandmaster Peter Freedman and Guro Grande George Brewster.
- Holds a 5th degree black belt in Freedman’s Method Ketsugo Jiu-Jitsu*.
- Helped Grandmaster Freedman instruct the United States Department of Defense in close quarters combative tactics.
- As Grandmaster Freedman’s most advanced student and prized pupil, he teaches private and group self-defense classes in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
- Born in Porto Rico and grew up without a father. He moved to the U.S with his mother when he turned 16 and lived in Boston. He was given the nickname “Indio” from his penchant of necklaces, jewelry, and his resemblance to native American Indians.
- Dropped out of school in the 10th grade and survived on the streets. The majority of Davila’s friends died from urban violence and drug addictions.
- Davila developed a reputation as one of the most feared people in Boston’s notorious South End.
- After serving time in prison for armed robbery and rehab for substance abuse Davila transformed his life through a disciplined combination of body building at Pete’s Power gym, regular classes in Freedman’s Method Ketsugo Jiu-Jitsu*, and by fueling his mind with inspirational books such as Karate-Do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi.
- Obtained his GED in 1991 and currently works at Harvard University as a lab technician.
- Lives in the greater Boston area with his significant other of 23 years. He is the proud father of 3 boys and 1 girl. He teaches regular group classes in and around the Boston area.
- Davila is fluent reading and writing English and Spanish and is of Puerto-Rican and Taino descent.
- One of Davila’s many personal goals is to help troubled youth overcome adversity by sharing his life story and by showing others that we all have the power to change our lives. Davila believes that once we empower our minds and take action there is nothing that cannot be accomplished.